Saturday, February 3, 2007

THE slipper debacle

Unfortunately, this post does not contain any pictures. It should, but it doesn't. Anyway, the slippers. Every Christmas for my childhood my Grandma knit us each a pair of slippers. Now, mind you, these slippers were nothing special. They were acrylic. Always. And they hurt your feet if walked around in them without a pair of socks on, too. But they were warm. Now, one way or another, we all needed new slippers by next Christmas. I, invariably, lost one (or both) of mine. My mom wore through hers. The list goes on. As my Grandma got older, the slippers fit less well. I, the youngest, invariably got slippers that were much too small. My Dad hasn't had a pair of slippers that fit for fifteen years, or so he tells me. It was something we giggled about as we swapped slippers around to fit. Well, my Grandma died when I was in High School and we have all gone slipper-less since. I don't think I really appreciated those slippers until I couldn't have them anymore.

Now, since I started knitting, there's been a glimmer of hope in my family members' eyes. So we thought, just maybe, that we might have slilppers again. My Mom had recovered a pair of slippers knitted but not sewn together. My aunt Ann believed she could make a pattern from that. I tried, but really lack the experience to properly create a pattern from a knit piece that involves anything more complicated than knit or purl. And then the phone call.

My Mom calls me with that tone in her voice that means she's excited but wants to toy with me. Well, to spare you all the suspense, she'd found THE pattern.

I've almost finished the pair. I'm proud. They're awesome. And there will be pictures soon. Soooooon. There will be slippers this Christmas.

No comments: